March 11-13, 2016
Danish American Center
3030 West River Parkway South | Minneapolis, Minnesota 55406
A retreat for women to explore and share Nordic traditions, songs, dance, handiwork, and ancestry.
Explore the questions:
- What does it mean to identify as Nordic? Some definitions.
- What is the effect of limiting the gathering to only female identified participants?
- What connections can we make between the pre-Christian, Christian, and post-Christian spiritual mind-set from a Nordic perspective?
- How do cultural stories, songs, dances, and crafts reflect or connect to our personal stories and expressions of self?
Kari Tauring~ Nordic Roots Educator
Bethany Jacobson~ SoulCollage® Facilitator
Aneesa Erinn Adams~ Artist
Rachel Knudsen~ Midwife
Skadi Snook~ Felted Wool Artist
Cost: $ 75 Per Person
Overnight rooms are available at the Danish American Center
$30 / Night for Shared and $35 / Night for Single
Email Bethany Jacobson for registration information email@example.com
Registration deadline is February 20th, 2016
What to Bring:
- A dish or two to pass for our Potluck Supper on Friday Evening
- Beverages or snacks you may want to have over the weekend
- Any special foods to accommodate your sensitivities or allergies
- Handiwork or craft items to work on
- Stav and Tein (two clean sticks the sizes of a broom handle and wooden spoon) if you wish to participate in the Volva Stav Workshops
- Photocopies of ancestral photographs, pictures of artifacts and heirlooms, other personal materials for making your collage.
- XC Skis or Snow Shoes depending on weather!
Friday March 11:
5pm Registration in the Women Only Livingroom (Greeters will show you where to go)
6pm Potluck Supper and Welcome Cup
7:30-9pm Join the wider Nordic community for Danish circle dances with live music in the Atrium ($2 donation) or mingle in the Women Only Living Room to make runic name tags!
9-11 Wine, song, and more runes in the Living Room
Saturday March 12:
7-8:30 Breakfast Breakfast items will be available for you to prepare in the small kitchen.
9-10:30– Kari Tauring: Introduction to Nordic women’s folkways from horns to runes to Nordic movement and Volva Stav. Living room – Dress to move!
10:30-10:45 Snack Break
10:45-12:30 Bethany Jacobson: SoulCollage® and Ancestry Connections
South Sun Room ($5.00 Materials Fee) Explore SoulCollage® and create a card reflecting your deep roots!
12:45 Lunch–Pizza and Salad
2-3:30 Kari Tauring and Aneesa Erinn Adams – Exploring the Runes of Nature
We will be Outdoors for this session. If there is snow, feel free to bring your snow shoes and XC Skis. Runes in the trees, in the body, and in the sounds of our environment – connecting to the Nordic landscape.
3:30-4 Snack Break
4-5:00 Skadi Snook: Felted Wool – A Nordic Necessity. South Sun-room. ($10 Materials Fee) Create your own felted wool project! Be inspired by Skadi’s Gnomes and more! (there will be opportunity to return to your projects throughout the evening.
5-5:30 Rachel Knudsen / Kari Tauring: Birth and Death – The Cycle of Women’s Passages.
6 pm Supper –Tomato Bisque Soup and Sandwich
7:30-8:00 Kari, Rachel, Anessa and Bethany lead folk songs with stick rhythm!
8:30-9pm pm Kari Tauring: Volva Stav Journey, bring your stav and tein!
9-11 Drinks and Songs, handwork and runes in the Living Room
Sunday March 13:
8 am Breakfast items will be available for you to prepare in the small kitchen.
9am Sharing and Discussion Forum–Sharing resources, trading phone numbers, and carrying our connections to the next level. If you wish to share your interest or specialty, or have items to sell or trade with others, let Bethany know!
11am to Noon Brunch Smorgasbord and A Farewell Cup and Song!